Tuesday, March 15, 2016

What Does Centex Mean To You? (Part III)

If you need to catch up on this series of posts, you can do so here and here.  This next post is from a current college player who will be making her 4th trip to Women's College Centex this weekend.  I am fortunate to have gotten to know Kristin on a personal level over the past few years, having hosted Florida State at many of my tournaments and running a leadership clinic in Tally a while back.  Kristin has been a loyal and fierce advocate of Women's College Centex and Without Limits, and I'm proud to have her as my friend.


My favorite memory is definitely winning the whole tournament last year. It's really neat because I truly believe this tournament is the reason we have been able to become the program we are today. I remember first attending Centex my sophomore year - in 2013 - and watching the tier 1 teams, thinking "Wow, those teams are really good. Maybe one day we can be at that level." Little did I know that after facing such great competition over the course of the next 2 seasons, not only would we compete at that level, but do it in such a way that we could win a tournament as prestigious as Centex.


This will be my 4th time attending Centex as a player and I honestly wish I could play at this tournament for years to come. It's always been my favorite. FSU has certainly grown as a team and a program from the opportunities presented through the tiered structure of Centex. Plus, every year it's a great way for us to hang out with new and familiar faces in the women's ultimate community while watching some bad ass women do some pretty great dancing. Austin isn't an awful backdrop to have either. I'm really looking forward to the competition we'll be facing. We're in a much different position entering this weekend than we were just a year ago, but I think that makes it much more exciting! I know we're in a great position to have a strong showing and possibly play in a crossover game to jump to tier 1.


It also shouldn't go without mentioning that Michelle Ng and the Texas ladies do a phenomenal job with this tournament every year. We always know that, no matter what, we're going to a top-quality tournament. And while no one can control the weather, the Centex planning team is going to make it the best weekend possible (I may be a little biased about the "best weekend" part because we won Mudtex).


Kristin Lloyd
Current Team: Florida State University Seminole Ladies Captain
College Team Attended With: Florida State University Seminole Ladies
Years Attended: Player 2013-2015

No comments:

Post a Comment